Benthara river is the nature boundary which divides Western and Southern provinces. The River starts by combining Maththaka and Haththaka lakes. According to the legend Haththaka lake turns in seven places and that’s how the lake and the village got ‘Haththaka’ name.
In year 1900, graphite industry faced a major slowdown. Because of this, most people left the area. So there were no one to teach the children in the village. After discussing with village elders, they decided to start a school on the land call “haththaka upasaka gedara waththa” (kade gedara waththa) in 1903. This is the birth of Haththaka Maha Viduhala.